September 13, 2008

Getting Better

Team Gusy is on the mend! That is, after 2 weeks and 2 Urgent Care trips, 3 office visits, 1 sick day per parent, 1 family sick day, 4 trips to Walgreen's and 6 Rx's. It started as a cold for Georgia and bad allergies for Mama, then turned into pink eye for Georgia and what the doctor called walking pnuemonia for Mama and Daddy.

It all got started on the first day of school! We got Georgia well that week but I recall vividly that Friday night Noah said his throat hurt, and while I felt sorry for him, I didn't think much of it. When I woke up the next morning with a wicked sore throat and had trouble swallowing I was much more empathetic and a little upset he didn't explain how bad his throat hurt.

Since then, we've done a lot of disbelief head shaking. For one, he and I have never been sick at the same time. Throw a baby into that mix and we were leveled. We can recall only one time that one of us gave the other one the sickness. I was bummed I already burned 2 sick days in just 2 weeks of school when I didn't miss a day of work last year until I left on maternity leave. I actually lost my voice--I've been hoarse before, but never actually lost my voice--and tried all sorts of things to get through classes this week. I resorted to whispering to the Instructional Assistants and they announced for me. When they weren't in the room I typed on a laptop and projected it on the screen. My students were impressed with my "crazy mad fast" typing skills and sense of humor through writing. I put up with a lot of crap from my co-workers because I was an easy target who couldn't dish it back this week, including at lunch one guy saying, in front of me, "It sure is quiet when Courtney can't talk."

In the midst of this, Noah turned 31. We did manage to celebrate but it was a pretty dismal effort so he declared sick delay and we'll be celebrating again next week. Georgia and I sent him a pizza for lunch (that got him some friends for lunch!) and surprised him with Root Beer floats for the entire garden center. We also celebrated with Opa at Gustave's--one of Noah's favorite resturants and a very special place to us.

Georgia still has a little cough but thankfully she has been a trooper and continued on with her playing and crawling efforts. She never ceases to amaze us with her new skills and movements. Last night I heard her fussing and found her sleeping on her tummy but wiggled under the crib bumpers with her legs were sticking straight out between the bars.

Here is a shameless tempting to coax her into crawling. She's finally starting to rock on her hands and knees so it's got to be close!

Here Noah is giving her one of his kiss attacks to make her laugh...

We'd be so bored without her!

No comments: