September 3, 2008

A New Kind of Busy

Having a baby changes everything. Confirmed.

I thought we'd experienced most of the things that were going to change already changing. But I was wrong. It never ends. And I'm quite sure I'll be back to tell you even more change when Little Miss figures out how to crawl.

We have experienced many new things in the last 10 days that surely earn us parenting badges of some sort. These include: a trip to the Social Security Administration with child in tow, adjusting to day care and school schedule, ongoing coaxing to get Georgia to drink her bottles instead of play, first cold and the surprise pink eye that has followed, throw in a visit to urgent care for a Rx, and a lack of sleep that rivals the first weeks of parenting.

Whew. I grew more weary just typing those things.

Let me just assure you that a trip to the SSA will not only open your eyes but make you thankful to have life's normal bumps. Georgia can work a stiff room like the lobby of the SSA and get some smiles but will eventually succomb to the frustration of waiting like all the big people.

Daycare is a necessary evil in our culture. Noah was pretty sure I was evil to give him drop off duty the first day. He felt like he was abandoning her--right into the arms of a loving mom with boys Georgia loves to play with. We have a pretty ideal set up and yet we are both really struggling with being working parents. Yes, it's good for her socialization, good for her to build relationships, yes she is only going 2-3 days a week and sleeps a good 4 hours while she is there, but it is so hard. We've been so blessed with 6 months at home and it brings tears to my eyes to think about moms having to leave their babies at 6 weeks.

I think my heart has broken at least 5 times in the last several weeks including a few days ago when Georgia woke up crying and just stared at me in misery from a cold. By the end of the day we were both miserable with colds. Enter Daddy, hero-of-our-world! The thanks he receives is Georgia saying, "ma-ma!" It's quite funny...her response to everything is ma-ma.

Daddy stayed home yesterday to make sure Georgia was better. (It was the first day of school for students and I felt like I needed to be there. It was a great day and my students are fantastic. I hope they are fantastic for the sub today!) Today we are home with pink eye after a trip to the urgent care last night to address some eye gooeyness. Pink eye follows colds in babies! Grrrreat. Wouldn't you know....mommy's eyes hurt now and no they cannot call in a Rx over the phone and no you cannot use the same stuff as the baby so make a trip to the doctor. What do you think that badge would be called...surviving yahoo rules and regulations?

No comments: