January 21, 2010

Moving surprises

It was two months and a day ago that we took out of Oregon headed for Missouri.

Yet moving surprises keep popping up!

Last week a toll bill came from Colorado. Noah took the toll bypass but never saw a place to pay the toll. Then he forgot to mention that we might be getting a bill. Understandably, of course, as traveling across the state of Kansas can easily turn one's mind squishy.

A friend of mine who regularly travels through Colorado says they cannot afford to {hu}man toll booths so they take photos and bill instead. I'm here to tell you they did a good job. They took a picture of our car being pulled behind the U-Haul and used DMV records to track us down. The USPS helpfully then forwarded it on. How is it they can be counted on to deliver bills but lose what I'd really like to get in the mail?

I was pleased Colorado was smart enough to use our license plate, unlike the state of Oregon which ticketed the U-Haul's license plate. That's another story and one that ended up in them cashing my $24 check for being over the line at a park-n-ride. But don't you worry, I disputed that in a two page letter than emphasized repeatedly the words empty parking lot. If nothing else, I hope the clerk got a writing lesson: use italics and repeat key words to ensure your audience doesn't miss your point.

Today's surprises included a pool of baby laundry soap. Let's just say last I saw that 96 oz. jug of Dreft in Oregon it had about 90 oz. in it. It got to ride in the floor of the aforementioned ticketed car for the big move. When it got to Missouri the jug contained about 20 oz. and my MIZZOU floormat contained the difference.

In a dimly lit garage I found the abadoned jug today and it had about .5 oz left. But in a brief moment of utter foolishness, I didn't think about where it had gone. Until it was too late. I'll just leave you to imagine the fun of cleaning that up.

Whose idea was it to move laundry dedergent?!??!

Oh, yeah, mine.

But what is NOT mine, I will not accept. I will not accept the random $54 charge U-Haul has put on our credit card this week. I called up there and I've got Bob working on that.

My cousin Frosty said, "Honey, that's life. It's just like a big game of Whack-a-Mole....try to enjoy the journey."

I'm off to whack one more mole tonight. The $1.80 in library fines we didn't get paid before we left. I tried to pay them $1.50 before I left but they wouldn't let me because it was too small to pay with a debit card and I had no cash. Well, that worked well for them, because Noah added another 30 cents before he left and it's bothered me ever since.

Both library ladies I talked to today laughed at my insistence, but it is important to pay one's debts, no matter how small. I feel so much better now. I can say again: I'M DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

If you know Dave Ramsey, you'll appreciate that ; )

No comments: