With a little help, Georgia recently completed 1000 minutes of summer reading with our local library program Make a Splash. The program tracked reading minutes online--which streamlined the process, but sadly felt like it was missing some of the heart of reading. Maybe I too fondly remember going to the same library branch with my completed brightly colored, long and skinny, numbered line paper that proudly displayed all the titles of the books I had read and feeling so accomplished.
I've loved watching her engage more and at new levels with books. There are some big wonders to this world for sure, but is there anything more amazing than watching a child love reading? So simple, yet so complex that I can only marvel!
We hit some duds of books along the way. I'm sad to say how many. I have a high standard for literature given my education and profession, but I was still surprised to find I needed to do a quick glance through our selections to ensure they had something to offer us. And I do mean us. Reading is too important for it not to be enjoyable for the parent also!
Noah's asked for a long time when I'm going to write a book myself. Happy to report I've decided on my topic: sippee cups and their many parts getting lost!
In our bags and bags of books checked out, we found some new favorites that we highly recommend!
Our family favorite is Gorilla, Gorilla by Jeanne Willis. When I get back into the high school classroom I'll use this book with Frankenstein because it is loosely a parallel story of a monster who is really not so much a monster. But until then, we'll just love the helpful gorilla and the scared mouse. The gorilla repeatedly tells the mouse in the story to STOP! and the mouse replies help! help! We always did a BIG, DEEP voice for the gorilla and a little squeaky voice for the mouse. Georgia greatly enjoys asking us, "Gorilla says?" and we of course indulge her so she giggles and does it herself before asking, "Mouse says?" and we all do squeaky helps. A two year old doing voices is quite funny and a pleasant surprise of parenting!
Last night before bed we were reading books. I asked Georgia if one of the three could be Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle because it is my favorite library book we have now. She asked, "Makes you happy?" Yes! And so does her increasing awareness of following conversation and deducing a logical conclusion like favorite=happy!
She's a little young for the message that help more readily comes if we've made an effort to be kind and caring to those along the path (literally!) but the animal sounds and truck sounds are perfect.
Her favorite is a book called Big Brother, Little Brother by Penny Dale. We've read lots of sibling books this summer trying to get ready for baby. She is also taken by Flyaway Katie by Polly Dunbar. It's such a different plot and the illustrations are beautiful! We also big fans of Polly Dunbar's Tilly and Friends series.
We've read Happy Hector many times and decided to share it with some little friends. I was listening to one little friend read it aloud and while waiting for him to figure out a unfamiliar word, Georgia, also listening, filled in the word for him. I was amazed and proud!!
August 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment