Alternatively I feel like WOW! 34 weeks! Already?! Time is flying so quickly! Then I have girlfriends who tell me I have been pregnant forever and isn't it about time?!
I think the two sentiments are merging because either way it won't be long now!
We went this morning for a pre-natal. The weigh in is the worst way to start the visit only because the office uses old, manual scales. As my dear husband likes to point out, I'm close to a big bar jump...you know...the big weight on the lower bar of the scale that denotes that the smaller, more delicate slide right across to calibrate down to the pound is no longer able to go up high enough to give your weight. You following me yet? The big bar on the bottom that goes cLuNK when the nurse moves it over?
I do miss the state of the art digital scale from Georgia days. I'd just turned my little head to the side and stopped knowing after a while. I stayed within healthy and the practitioners never brought it up.
Here they mention it every time, if only to say, "Well, we know you weighed on a different scale this time." Today it was, "So you probably gained two pounds, not five."
But that doesn't mean the big cLuNK isn't gonna happen next time!
The pregnancy--so like Georgia's--is becoming its own experience. Georgia was traverse until the end. This boy has got his head down. Way down. And his feet up. Way up. In the ribs.
These are new experiences for me. Uncomfortable. And just for once I'd kind of like to hear "You're normal!" without seeing the eyEBROws raised that not so subtly mention, "Kind of on the impressive end of normal." The kid's long. I know! Look at us!
All kidding aside, we are so glad he's growing and healthy. Nothing beats that.
We are starting to run baby scenarios through. We did our hospital visit. The new birth center is scheduled to open in September. Although it is a mess of construction to get to the existing birth center through the hospital, I would honestly rather the move doesn't happen until long after I've gone home with babe in arms. It would be nice to drive up and take a dedicated elevator up to L&D, but given no one at the hospital or the doctors' office seems to be certain about set up and amenities (namely the mightily important to me tub) I'd prefer to stick with what is certain...even if it is cozy (read small) rooms.
We are also running care for Georgia scenarios. There are about four or five plausible scenarios that we'll cover and involve a grammy, an uncle, an aunt, and a dear friend. I need to know she is fine so I can do my work!
I've been leaving her a little several times a week to get her accustomed to being apart from me. Little Friend is usually attached to me at the hip and rightfully so as I'm her primary caretaker, but she has to learn to let others care for her, too. And maybe not be so offended that I would want to leave her. Sunday was a HUGE milestone when I left to go to Bible Study, she gave me a kiss and said, "See you later, Mom!" without a tear!
We have our routes mapped out. I've pointed out the fire stations along each route, just in case. The second baby coming fast stories are slightly unnerving. The midwife told us to today to keep dental floss and clean blankets in our car because you never know.
My mom tells this story of birthing class from her days... the nurse teaching the class was recounting that she helped a woman who had just given birth in the elevator on the way to L&D. The nurse was comforting the mom by saying, "Hey! At least you made it this far. Last year a woman had a baby on the front lawn!" The new mom replied, "That was ME!" Oh my word!!!!!!!
The gang's up from our excessive heat warning day afternoon nap, so it's time to get to work. Our motto around here is, "If we're not RESTIN, we're NESTIN!" I'm a nester by nature. Pregnancy makes me a pro. Noah even made up an action to go with the oft mentioned motto!
August 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment