April 1, 2011

6 months

I'm realizing 6 months is one of my favorite baby ages. Judah can sit up. He's beginning to lift his arms to be picked up. He knows his name and will turn when called. He's just cuddly and cute. And most importantly, stays within rolling distance of where he is placed.

I have had to get very stern with Noah because every time I turn around, he is trying to teach Judah how to crawl and helping him walk! There is no need to rush these milestones. Especially since it is spring and Noah will be working like crazy the next three months and won't be around to chase him!

At Judah's 6 month appointment he weighed 17 lb. 15 oz. I asked for them to weigh him again because how in the world could that be right?! The second time he weighed 17 lb. 12 oz. I told the nurse to write down the first weight! He's in the 50th percentile for weight for boys. The doctor said babies tend to feel heavier than they are because the weight is so compact. I'll say! My back hurts and I'm pretty sure my shoulders can't even straighten completely right now!

Since the appointment I've done the math and actually think this is about right. Babies usually double their birth weight by 6 months and Judah's right on.

He's 75th percentile for height and 25th percentile for head circumference. He's got about 1 3/4" to grow before he has to be out of the bucket, and will probably reach that before he reaches the weight restriction. Then he'll move on to a convertible car seat and face backwards until 2. This is a new recommendation and we'll adhere, but I am already picturing him sitting in the backseat with his feet up by the headrest!

I seasoned out the kids' closet and it was like a great shopping trip. I tried to garage sale for clothes through 18 months last summer and he's in great shape for clothes for summer. The little rompers about made me keel over in cuteness awe. Oh and the little swim shorts. I have to take a moment and grin.

Judah's outgrown all his footie pj's and with the nights warmer, we've moved on to two piece cotton pa-jams. Goodness me oh my. Not only does he just look adorable, but that sliver of baby belly peeking out just delights me and makes me send up a prayer of thanks. Have you ever thought how interesting it is that God grows us by a pregnancy organ and a magnificent tube going into our bellies? Not our heads, not our hearts, but through the belly! And then we get the cutest and strangest little belly button forever!

We are realizing that Judah's belly button is deep. Cavernous, really. A Q-tip tip will fit in its depth. Impressive.

One challenge we are facing with this age is our boy getting distracted when nursing. It's frustrating! I've talked with several moms and our pediatrician to get ideas. More or less Georgia needs to not be around! Easier said than done. She's experiencing some separation anxiety of her own and doesn't even like to be in the next room alone.

If I have to, I'll pump. If he won't drink his milk from a sippee, I'll put it in his food. We'll find a way! He poses good challenges and I love to watch the Lord teach us to meet his needs!

No comments: