Yesterday I looked up at our dining room wall and laughed. At Christmas, my friend Smalls gave me a Willow Tree figurine called "Our Gift." This mom, dad, and babe in arms signified our new family before we were yet one.
I hadn't really looked at this figurine since Georgia was born and now it was hilarious to me that the babe clutched between the parents is bald as a cue ball. Not our baby! We sure were all surprised by Georgia's long, dark hair at birth. Could it be those long two weeks before her birth day when labor kept stalling was because she thought her hair needed to grow out a bit more before her debut???
I think about her hair quite a bit, and in a new way--family hair. I love Sandra Cisnero's House on Mango Street with its vividly descriptive vignettes that capture the small details of life, including things like how a family is often alike or not because of their "Hairs." We are hoping that Georgia inherits Noah's curls (her post-bath hair indicates she just might). I only know curls from perms, irons, and other impositions so I am relying on him to instruct me on hair care.
As hers is growing, Daddy went for his summer cut. Sad to say just as his curls were making nice orbs, the weather warmed up, and he took the clippers to his head. This just may be preferable to his Christopher Walken impression, but now the baby has more hair than Daddy!
No comments:
Post a Comment