May 11, 2008

Mother's Day


Church dedication

Team Gusy

Sleepy Princess

It is my first day-a-mama and my beautiful daughter is giving us all a wonderful gift...a restful nap. She was such a trooper this morning through church and S.S. but by lunchtime my heart was breaking at her tiredness. The cries were demonstrative of what I feel like in the middle of the night when I am exhausted but cannot fall asleep. Noah is right...and he would know...she does becomes a little Coco when she is excited, tired, or upset. Thankfully, most of the time she is a little Noah in appearance and demeanor.

In addition to it being Mother's Day, it was also Baby Dedication Day at church. One of Noah's fellow leads (and mom to three boys) gifted G not one, but two, princess dresses. If you were thinking pink and purple, you were right! She bought pink and brought it to the shower in February, but decided by the end of it that she really needed to go buy the purple one also, and she did. As these are her fanciest duds, I felt it appropriate to debut one today. This decision brought on several mommy lessons...

Lesson one: it's your call and be confident in your choices. The weather here was predicted to be low 60's and rainy and although I long for the summer days when I can gaze at those chubby bare legs, I didn't think she should go bare legged today. Solution: tights. As if that was simple...tights mean shoes! She's long passed newborn shoes and her bigger shoes certainly weren't complimentary of a princess dress. To Target we go...standing in the aisle measuring a sleeping baby's foot against shoes attached to a paperboard backing. Of course the pink ballet slippers were too little, but we found some white Mary Janes that worked. On to tights...I went with the 9-18 month three pack because you know that my 12 lb. and 2 ft. girl is not going to actually fit in the size they said she should (can I get a yes-mm-hmm ladies?). She looked a little bit like the saggy baggy elephant around the ankles but still a good choice.

By the way...two other baby girls dedicated today...shoes no tights and bare legs...again, be confident in thy choices.

Lesson two: princess dresses have time limits. Poor Georgia. She was a bell and barely fit in her carseat. Noah had to practically punch the dress into submission to buckle her. Holding her was awkward and she was dang slick with all that taffeta. She was amazing during the dedication--quite alert and calm despite having been woken up accidently by another mom. Our princess spent the next two hours trying to fall asleep in ribbons, roses, and six layers of fabric. Just as she would nod off she'd wake up in all that feminity. I have never been so thankful to return her to cotton onesies and simple pants.

Hope you all have had a wonderful day either being a mom (I quickly figured out this morning that you don't actually get a break from mothering on this "holiday"), being with your mom, or thinking of your mom!!

1 comment:

Nana said...

I was so lucky this Mother's Day to receive a plaque that said NANA and had pictures of my two beautiful granddaughters.

The funny thing is they were blessed on the same day at churches 3000 miles apart and yet the service was exactly the same!

Opa said Georgia was really good through the whole service in Oregon. I'm here to say that Adi was also good through the whole service in Missouri.

Both girls looked beautiful in their "party" dresses.

I'm a proud nana.