May 25, 2008

Working Mom

What a amazing, blessed, and laughable week it has been transitioning back to working full time.

We made it and we'll make it through the next two. Much thanks due to my mom--the waffle making, the baby soothing, and quiet peace she brings.

I realized very quickly that working, commuting, nursing, and being a graduate student leaves little margin. I have a forty minute commute each way and although I begrudge that drive at times, at least I have some time alone with my thoughts and prayers each day.

It is a strange and fantastic, never mind almost constant, change I feel myself experiencing. The first few weeks of becoming a parent were overwhelming; and yet not. One becomes, day by day, a parent and I think (three months in) for the rest of life!

One of the best parts, aside from all that Georgia is in and of herself, has to be the new dimension to many of the relationships in my life. At the risk of sounding trite, parenting is like joining a club!

Returning to work meant discovering my friends and colleagues as parents...a sudden appreciation and respect that doesn't need words, but is evident in conversation and action.

I'm glad to be in such good company.

No comments: