November 2, 2008

Family Matters


The news of daylight savings time did not seem to stick with me this year. I heard it multiple times, but quite frankly, my world revolves around Georgia not the sun, and when she gets up is more important than when the sun does. However, coordinating details like Daylight Savings Time, is usually my contribution to the Team...and I failed to remind Noah. I also failed to set the clocks last night.

Noah was up first this morning to head off to work. As many of you know, Noah is not a morning person, and wasn't thrilled to have gotten up at 5:30 instead of 6:30. What to do? Take advantage of an extra hour together...and go to Starbucks. Here he is caffeined up with Georgia in her Oregonianish raincoat. They are just so cute together.



Did you know America is voting this week? Just wanted to make sure you'd heard that news. If you need more information, ask any friend, stranger, or foe and they can fill you in. I'd recommend not turning on the TV, however, as the ads have hit a level that might evoke own-eye-poking-out troubles.

In all seriousness, voting is both honor and chore. I am thankful Oregon does vote by mail (though we have now come into the drop-it-off time). I don't think I could keep all the measures straight long enough to get them marked on my ballot before confusing them and disrupting others voting in my confusion. Never mind the fact my mom told me she was pretty sure one cannot take notes into the polling booth and I think I would probably hide them in my purse until I closed the curtain.

We have two voting manuals...one for measures and one for candidates. As you can see, I did take notes and I did change my mind on several measures after reading the text and the arguments. I find it exciting and overwhelming and a little nuts that I get to weigh in on state consitutional amendments. To take my own good, the good of my family, the good of my neighbors, students, friends, strangers, and even the yahoos who run red lights like it is a contest, and have to decide for or against is humbling. I am only one vote, but in the end one plus one plus one plus one makes the decision.

Today I will tackle the candidates. Right or wrong, for some of these races my philosophy is Fire Them Both! I specifically reference the Gordon Smith-Jeff Merkley race that is getting national attention. I'm not really happy with Obama or McCain. It was good to see Ralph Nader back, but surprising to see three complete strangers there also. I like the write in feature; it's like the "none of the above" option. I have two suggestions for you if you go with this option: Dave Ramsey or Dave Bower. I love 'em both and think the world of these two men. The former has said nobody would like it if he was president because he would balance the budget and the latter I haven't even approached about running...and he does have two full time gigs already.

We are also starting to spend the cool evenings reading. We aren't really one book at a time people. Noah is Mr. Non-Fiction and always reading about fruit, veggies, or trees. Georgia is a animal loving and baby loving reader...board books only at this point as she is a little, eh, violent with her page turning. I'm an across the aisle reader...my book group just finished The Secret History (the cover looks like a bad romance but it is a mystery), I'm really into Deceptively Simple (it's like the grown up version of Super Baby Food), and I always have room in my heart for a book about my favorite animal the giraffe. We are both reading Crucial Confrontations for some skillzzz to help us at work. If you have any book suggestions, post them! We love recommendations!

No comments: