We've been home with Judah for a week and a half already. Time sure passes differently with a baby around! The incredibly beautiful Indian Summer weather has made for quiet and peacefully warm days as we've transitioned toward a new routine.
First, I'd like to say I highly recommend not catching the flu the day you have a baby. Did that the first time and really it's something you should pass on. I realize now how difficult of a recovery I had with Georgia. This time around I've also had every postpartum issue I had with her, but man oh man, minus the flu, those things are so manageable!
Being able to physically care for Judah has been truly amazing. It took me weeks to feel better and to feel bonded to Georgia while Noah felt incredibly bonded to her after so much hands on care in the hospital. He teases me that she's his baby and Judah is mine. He does love his mama!
Our little man is thriving. He started smiling at four days old! Today it looked like he was chuckling! I can see that he's growing longer. At his 2 days post-discharge visit he was back up from 8lb. 2oz. to 8lb. 9oz. I'll credit that to his constant eating. He's doing a growth spurt right now and I'm excited to see how much he weighs at his 2 week check-up this week.
Before he was born I was mentally preparing myself to sit down and nurse him eight times a day. Ha! This boy eats ten to twelve times a day! The trade-off is that he's sleeping in good stretches at night. I'll pass along helpful advice I got from the post-discharge nurse who called to check on us. A baby who gets 80% of his/her calories during the day and is then put to sleep in a crib or bassinet will awaken more easily for the next feeding than a baby who is held or in a swing or a bouncer. It's a lot of daytime commitment, but worth the easier nights for me!
Georgia's transitioning well into big sisterhood, though it's still a lot of change. She coos at him and calls him little baby. She likes to hold him...for about ten seconds before she declares him tooooo heavy. When he fusses I hear her tell him sweetly, "I know. I know." which I now realize is what I tell him when he fusses. So far his crying doesn't wake her or bother her. The name switch has her a little puzzled and sometimes she'll call him Toby, shake her head, and then say Judah or ask "Where's Toby?"
She continues to be our feisty, witty, and clever girl. Her new thing is to reply, "Sure is!" and defend her actions by insisting, "I not naughty, I silly." We are so proud of her and know that independence and spunk will serve her well in life!
So glad they have each other. So glad we have them!
October 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It sounds like Judah and Adam are two peas in a pod. From your comments on weight and eating all the time at least. As for sleeping, we've been struggling some, but it is getting better. Adam is just so fussy compared to Shannon as a newborn. So glad all is well for you and can't wait to meet him!
Post a Comment