October 27, 2010

Dear Georgia

Dear Georgia,

You are the best daughter God could have given me. I have a vague recollection of what I always imagined my daughter to be, but you are so much more. She would have worn a denim jumper outfit and two adorable matching bows in her page boy haircut being so girly. Your sense of style is much more eccentric, bows aren't your thing, and girliness comes and goes. Daddy says it's because you are an Oregonian. For whatever the reasons, I love you so much for all that you are.

Right now you are so excited for me to get the all clear from my doctor so I can run and jump and play and 'do ballerinas' with you. You tell me often, "When the doctor say you can run with me?!" I don't think you can remember when I wasn't restricted in some way because of pregnancy and I look forward to being more physically active with you, that being a strong language of love for you!

You've taken to being a big sister with great gusto. You call your brother Baby Judah and love to get really close to him and coo and talk to him. You make such plans for him and start a lot of your conversations with, "When he gets bigger he'll play with me!" He's started to follow you with his eyes and I cannot help but think how fortunate he is to have you to occupy him during tummy time! You fussed a lot more about it than he does and I'm sure it's because you are more entertaining than we were for you!

I am so grateful that you are understanding about me doing so much hands on care of a baby. I cannot tell you how many times a day you ask me to play and I tell you I will when I finish. But as soon as I finish, it never fails that something else must be done. I appreciate you going with the flow.

Right now Story Time at the library with Miss Vicki is our time together. Daddy takes Judah and has a little break while we sing and do crafts and listen to stories. I love to have you in my lap, though I have to say you are so much heavier than I ever realized (compared to a 10 lb. baby brother!).

You and Daddy are super tight right now. You are independent so much of the time, but he is your outlet and your bedtime parent. You love, love, love to go outside and run and play ball and get in your sandbox with Daddy. He puts you to bed but usually you find your way into our room to kiss Judah goodnight and tell me goodnight. When you turn to walk toward your room and I watch you go, I am so proud and yet get a little teary eyed. How did you get to be going on 3??? When I thought you'd be my only child I hung on to you so tightly and having Judah has made me feel so grateful that I am able to relax and enjoy you both. The world is a better place because of your presence and I need to learn to share you with it!

The things you say and things you think up just crack me up. You are practical, logical, and intuitive. It's like you are going on 3...or 30. You do this little thing where you pop your heel up, bend your knee, and tilt your before you start in explaining something. It's usually got a titch of manipulation, exaggeration, or pure imagination. And we laugh...sometimes in front of you and you laugh hysterically in response. This morning I was talking to Grammy and you immitated my hand motions and pretended you were a part of the conversation. You call your daddy Honey when you want something from him. You tell us you've got sump-ten (something) to show us about six times a day. 

We've figured out that you become naughty when you are bored. Daddy says he was the same way. You keep us always searching for ways to keep you challenged. I now understand why parents of gifted children feel so strongly about their kids receiving educational services too! You all need them! You do 25 piece puzzles like they are nothing! This week we've started teaching you sign language. We did some baby signing when you were little, but now you can use signing on a new level. You are definitely building pre-reading skills. I'll be a better teacher for all you've taught me about children and learning!

Just to keep this real and for you to know some day....you can scream like none other and we can't wait for that to pass! Grammy commented to Daddy the other day, "I don't remember Courtney screaming like that when she was little." So we'll blame Daddy for this trait, ok?

I need to go wake you up because you are getting your hair cut in a bit. But when you read this someday, I want you to be reminded that you fill my heart with joy and I love you to the moon and back.

Mommy

No comments: