Judah's 4 month check-up was today. Georgia's 3 year was also, but I'll save her stats for an upcoming post about her birthday.
I actually was eager to have this appointment because I had several questions for the doctor. I was pretty sure what her answers would be, but I still wanted to ask. Being a second-time mom is definitely less stressful to me. But while I am not stressed about milestones and decisions, I am also rather sleep deprived and need all the help I can get!
In fact, I haven't read hardly any developmental literature and have come to rely on Rebecca to help me know what the upcoming weeks will hold for me! Her son, Adam, was due at the same time as Judah, but Adam came early and Judah came late, so while they didn't end up being birthday babies, Adam is a fantastic milestone heads-up for us. Not to mention they seemingly have a lot in common!
On my list for the doctor was sleeping, bottle issues, and introducing foods. As I suspected, these are dominos.
Starting with the bottle...Judah is incredibly frustrating to feed by bottle. He doesn't get one very often, but he dinks around forever on an ounce or two while trying to suck his thumb and look around the room. I thought Daddy and Grammy were just not doing a good job of trying, but I myself grew frustrated when I tried. He has just lost interest completely and would rather be a little hungry until mama returns. He still eats 2-3 times during the night like a newborn. We tried formula last week and he'd have nothing to do with it............so it's all mama.
Which means.......we don't have a whole lotta other options but to start cereal. But I was really surprised that she suggested cereal for two weeks and then start introducing other foods. We'll see. I've got my Super Baby Foods book handy and will get my introduction plan going. Probably avocados and bananas like Georgia had.
He had cereal for lunch and liked it. The hardest part was getting him to keep his hands off the spoon. He ate almost the entire first meal portion. Doctor said feed him more before bed and we'll hope that he sleeps instead of eats!
I always take weight guesses before Judah gets to the scale. We are usually in the ballpark. But I was shocked. Like your scale is WRONG shocked. When the doctor came in I started to tell her I expected him to weigh 18 lbs. and she immediately took a good gander at him and said 22. And she sees a lot of babies.He weighed ONLY 15 lb. 10 oz. ONLY 75% percentile. I am being a big facetious, of course, but if you could see the boy nekked, he is so SOLID and STRONG that it's just crazy he doesn't weigh more! Built like his Uncle Chris and his Great-Grandpa Ray-Ray.
He is now 26" and that is a predictable 90% percentile. Head circumference is only 25% percentile. Again, only. So the long and short of it is this........he's built like a Horton, tall like us both, and has my small head and ears!
1 comment:
I'm glad that my posts help you with the milestones! I'm honored to be mentioned :) I am also shocked that he was only just under 16 pounds! OF course, that is based purely on pictures since we STILL haven't managed to get together...not that the weather has permitted it. I think you are doing wonderful with him Courtney. He is growing, healthy, and seems to be happy! It just really stinks that he won't sleep all night for you. I can't imagine being up 3 times still. I'd love to know more about your baby food book. I've been thinking hard about making my own baby food and the time is rapidly approaching. We've already started rice and oatmeal.
Post a Comment