August 24, 2009

One and a half

Tomorrow Georgia will be one and a half.

Never mind I told her that she was one and a half today. That's the trouble with being home and not always looking at a calendar and thus losing track of the date.

Never mind I just realized that my calendar ends August 31st. Thank you Educational Tours for your free calendar of beautiful places around the world that I could take a group of students to visit. What good does it do me when you've left me high and dry at the point in the year when I'm quite certain Target is peddling 2010 calendars???



Oh, people, I typed 200 and then had to delete a 0 and type the 10.

This is to say that TIME is FLYING and I'm struggling.

I don't know how in the world my baby girl is one and a half. I cannot believe a year from now she'll start pre-school. I cannot believe that she'll be in kindergarten in four years. I cannot believe that every new school year she'll be ___ years and a half to start the next grade.


For the record, we're going to stop counting months after this. I had a lengthy discussion about counting months past 18 with other moms of 18 monthers. We all agreed. Counting stops after 18 months.

Which means before long I'll be saying she's about two.

Sigh.

She goes in for her well child check-up next week, but she went last week for a rash and she was 31.75" and 24.6 lbs. That's 10" growth since birth! Somewhere close to 14 lbs. gained. (I teach Language Arts, not math. I can do the ounces to pounds translation but I'm not gonna.)

What I do know affirmatively is that she's thinned out since winter. People told me that would happen, but obviously not in a very convincing way because I've been buying her size 5 diapers since Christmas.

It's a committment to buy a Costco sized box of diapers and the way she was growing last fall made me sure we just needed to skip size 4. So I did. And I just kept buying 'em.

Never mind she still isn't at the minimum weight for size 5. And I bought a new box this week.

I've lost track of her word count. It seems like she'll say anything we ask her to try. You know, in toddler-ese. Yesterday she said spaghetti. Today she grasped 'stuck.' Somehow a dog went from a 'guh' to a 'gof' and shoes are now 'foos'. She thinks everything is 'hot' since that she understands the concept, so we're working on tempering that with 'warm.'
She saw a picture of a llama and said, "cow...mooooo." When she got that association down pat, I'm not sure. And hey, a llama and a cow are close enough.
This morning she told me my pj pants had flowers. True dat.
I love her little voice and love to hear her chatter. But I do like quiet play a lot, too.
Here she is.....learning how to do a puzzle with "Pa-Pa" who she loves and asks for often....sitting on the kitchen counter (I put her up there for a specific reason?)....being silly about getting her pj's on....tromping around in heels (she's rather good at it!).....working on her puzzle (it makes the animal sounds when the puzzle piece is place correctly--score for $3 at a consignment shop)....and playing (please don't feel too sorry for her lack of toys...)


No comments: