June 20, 2008

Grateful

When I closed my eyes to go to sleep last night, my heart was so grateful and I just had to say, "Thank you, God." My prayers had been answered.

These were simple requests. But these requests reminded me how much God wants to be our Source, our Rock, our Father, our Help in time of need. Asking them reminded me that nothing is too little to bring to Him and that not asking is my loss.

What did I evoke the Creator of the World to do?

1. Make my headache would go away
2. Help us make and eat dinner
3. Help us calm the baby and get her to sleep

I left class at about 8:45 last night with a wicked headache. I'd had a headache off and on all day but it was horrendous during class and I had really struggled to participate (no hiding with 4 students working on a project with a visiting researcher!). I started feeling sick to my stomach and had my escape route out of class planned in my head, just in case.

I called Noah to warn him I was going to take it slow getting home, only to hear Georgia crying. (I never quite realized how well you can hear an upset baby over the phone.) When I told him my plight and asked if he could start dinner, he said he would try. He sounded earnest in that he would try but his tone was doubtful that it would get done. This was night two of me going to class and night two Georgia had made her case that she missed her momma. That's hard on a daddy.

We needed help.

I asked for help.

My headache started fading...and was gone by the time I got home.

Georgia's disposition returned to sunshine and kittens when I took her into my arms. Noah made dinner. I was so glad to eat our Shrimp Pad Thai, even though it was so spicy I had to take a break halfway through.

We climbed into bed and I held my bookmark up for Georgia to look at from her crib (firemen by their truck...that's a whole different story) and after intently studying it, she closed her eyes and faded away.

Thank you, God, for answering my simple and yet desperate prayers!

No comments: