Me neither. (Heck, I didn't even know that most zoo mission statements include elements of conservation education.)
Zoos across the country are "shamelessly" (says Oregon Zoo's Conservationist) using the plight of the Polar Bear to bring attention to climate change in hopes of getting zoo visitors to think about how they might lessen their carbon footprint.
I am learning more about YPB through my graduate class and actually getting to h
elp our zoo determine if visitors are noticing their signage, and if they intend to make any changes to lessen their carbon footprint.
It's an interesting effort. Take an iconic animal, add an international current issue, and try to educate the public about how choices affect everyone and everything, but specifically polar bears.
This morning Georgia and I took an undercover research field trip to the zoo. I visited the zoo last week with my fellow grad students, and we quickly realized I have a great prop in my child to help me fit in while also noticing patterns of movement, how signage is being accessed, etc. Strollers, strollers, everywhere! Informal data collection going on too...we'll see what our survey turns up when we step out and officially collect data.
No comments:
Post a Comment