June 11, 2009

Home

June 10th has been circled on the calendar of my mind for about 3 months now. My last day of work. But this was no SUMMER! in my mind, because it meant the last day of work for at least 14 months, and maybe longer.

After much deliberation, consideration, prayer, soul searching, and straight up talks with myself, my husband, and several of my "inner circle," I submitted for a one year leave of absence from my teaching job. I have tried to phrase my thoughts just so and weave just the right words, but that's just not happening here and now in the short span of morning nap. I'll just say I believe the place for me to be is home taking care of Team Gusy.

This week I cleaned out my desk, sorted through many files, came across things that made me tear up, recycled more papers than I would like to believe I ever copied, and packed up my classroom. It was cathartic to sort and clean and think back through five years of teaching and the thousand plus of students coming and going from Room 313...
I've loved introducing kids to life through literature. It was hard to erase this last assignment of the year!
But I gave myself a big whoop-whoop when the in box was EMPTY for the year!
I laughed when I found this old card tucked away. When I got married, it was a tough transition to a new name.
I quickly became Mrs. G (though it always came out like MizzG). After four years of being an initial, adults have forgotten had to say and spell the entire name :O
Even my keys said G!!!!
I'll miss the messages the students wrote on the windows with special markers and the things they use Paint to make and leave for me on the computer screen.
But I'll be home for nap time, trips to Book Babies, potty training, play time, and waiting at the door for Daddy...and that seems so RIGHT!

2 comments:

The Enslow Family said...

I don't think you will regret a moment of being home. It sounds like you put a lot of thought into what is best for your family and you and in the end you will teach Georgia and any other kiddos you have so much. If you ever need to talk, you know where I'm at and how to get me!

Anonymous said...

You're going to love being at home. I miss my classroom sometimes, but there's no way it can top being with your kiddos.