September 6, 2010

Labor Day

Labor Day Weekend did not bring on labor, but that's ok because we had cousin time planned. Noah's sister's family came up to spend one of our last newborn free weekends.

Friday night we went to the Kansas City Symphony's Pops in the Park. My friend Lauren told us about this awesome, free, and family friendly event and invited us to join her and her family. I didn't think we would go, but we decided we were game and dressed the kids in pants and grabbed jackets for the gloriously cool evening. I texted Lauren that afternoon to say we were coming. When we got there I left my phone in the car and couldn't call her. Daniel decided to take us all the way down front by the stage in the blanket section and it was perfect for the kids to see the stage and entertain everyone behind us. As we were eating our picnic dinner I was lamenting that we'd never find Lauren in the crowd to say hi. Noah stood up, looked around, and said "Isn't that her?" Yes!!!!! In a crowd of thousand people!

So we had to go say hi! I swiped this from her blog! Georgia looked about 4 in this outfit!


In addition to a wonderful evening of music, the girls doing WWE throw downs on the blankets, and enjoying our great company, we also got a very special little Us Moment. The minister I grew up with at RCC when I was a teen who truly was such a blessing to me and my understanding of Christianity was there, along with his family, with Lauren's family. He was part of our wedding....as was Lauren who sang at our wedding...and then there was Daniel and Noelle too, usher and groom's matron (she stood up with Noah). It was a little jaunt down memory lane!

Sunday morning we went to church and loved getting to take our nieces to the kids' area while the grown ups enjoyed a great Pastor Phil sermon. He regularly mentions his KU football days, but didn't this week. I had to fill Daniel in on that, but Phil did mention his rookie cop days and put on a bullet proof vest to make his point about putting on the armor of God.

That evening we went to check out a coffee shop and to play at a park in a neighborhood we love. Pick any house in the development and I'd be glad to call it home! The feel of the place is just so PORTLAND and we love it! The park is a neighborhood park and we might be the only people who drive to it to play but we probably will until someone tells us not to.

Today we went to Deanna Rose Farmstead. I actually do have pictures of this to share! I've realized that for the deep love I have of my Canon camera, carrying a real camera is work. I do miss our small digital camera that fit so easily in a pocket or purse. I let Noelle do most of the picture taking this weekend, but hers was dying today so I got to be photographer.

Among the gazillion strollers, sippee cups, and parents snapping pictures, I realized how much one can miss while trying to capture the moment with a camera. I heard so many parents cajoling, coaxing, demanding, and even forcing kiddos to look at cameras in the midst of their enjoyment. It made me go hmmm. Childhood is fleeting and I too want to soak up and remember the moments, but I refrained myself from interrupting the girls' play. I wanted the memories more than the pictures. I got a lot of the back of heads and not a single one with everyone looking at the camera, but I felt more present than if I had been worried about it!

So here we go...........saddles and chicks, cowbells and goats, tractors and ducks, BIG slides and gardens, trains and walking all in the warm wind!
Such a fun day! Such a great weekend! We are so glad Georgia has Adi and Sierra and we are so glad to have Daniel and Noelle. This was part of the reason we knew we had to get back to the Midwest! 

I know tomorrow will be an adjustment day for Georgia. She was already telling me of her plans to play with Adi tomorrow. Never mind that I explained several times Adi was going home. Last time we saw them, it took her at least two days to get herself ironed out emotionally.

I have to say it was odd and kinda of a break for me that with other people around Georgia was barely aware of my presence for two days. Sometimes she'd come and find me to ask something, but for most of the weekend she was independent and unconcerned where I was or what I was doing.

That ended approximately five minutes after they pulled out of the driveway this afternoon. Mama's girl's back!

No comments: