I've been talking about fall coming on for months and now it's here. I just feel like wait....summer?!...you still with us buddy? little bit? I'm telling you he left as dramatically as he came.
I felt this most strongly tonight as I sat looking at my hot pink toenails (we'll call it Georgia picked pink) and thought to myself....going on inappropriate...back to maroon. As if any toenail painting at this point is going to be decent or worthwhile.
This fall business meant I put on tennis shoes, and then had to ask Noah to tie them. I really don't like needing someone to tie my shoes.
But that didn't stop me from asking Georgia to wash my feet when we were in the shower yesterday. She was sitting on the floor of the shower with her bath crayons (thanks, Aud! she loves 'em but I see why one package was enough!) and thought it was super great to help me. It was.
Tonight I went with my mom and cousin to a Kansas City Public Library Event with the authors of The Great Typo Hunt. Two guys in their 30's went on a road trip to find and correct blatant public grammatical errors using four and then five ground rules--the fifth being added after the federal government didn't appreciate their assistance in correcting an error. From their readings, sounds like their writing style has the zip and wit that makes for great non-fiction. They graciously broadened their definition of a typo to include both errors in effort (typing quickly, for example) and what they call ineducation (read: don't know better). They also find people to be either grammar hawks or grammar hippies. I sat between my two hawks, and comparatively I felt like a hippie. Think the guys would call me a peacemaker! It was a nice, easy evening before baby time.
I came home to a dark house and a little girl who I thought was asleep but is not. I'm hiding downstairs until she succumbs. Love her to pieces, but don't want Daddy's bedtime efforts to go to waste. If she knows I'm home she'll want to start from the top. I just want to sleep myself! Pregnancy dreaming is in an upswing and I woke up more exhausted than when I went to bed. I was also panicking in the night that my hospital bag is really not well packed and that I need to divide things out into smaller bags for the various stages of our stay. They've warned us that the trip through the ER doors up to L&D is a long walk and we're on our own--no escort to push a wheelchair--so I've decided bag number one is L&D essentials only in a hiking backpack Noah can carry on his back and have both hands to push me.
While I was gone tonight Noah and Georgia played outside and watered "the baby flowers." Apparently SHE started a water fight with him! She grabbed the hose with the wand and threatened to spray him and then soaked him and chased him. He had to take refuge behind the car and left her tugging the hose to reach him. Can you imagine this scene of a 6' 2" 200 lb. man being chased by a 3' 30 lb. little girl?! I would have LOVED to see this!
I wish you all could have heard her this morning. She was fussing and I coaxed her to come in to me and tell me what was wrong. She said, "Honey Girl no have pajamas," picking up exactly where she left off last night that her baby doll needed pj's. She wouldn't accept baby boy jams and I wasn't about to go find baby girl ones right then. The child has a mind of a elephant and mornings often begin where the night before ended. I asked her if she was upset or Honey Girl (it's a little confusing she named the doll after herself) was upset...it was Honey Girl the Real Girl who was.
She climbed up on the bed and just started chatting away. She pointed to her nose and said something about her owie and "I fell over a goat" with her face all scrunched up and this wistful voice. I couldn't stop laughing. She did get taken out by a baby goat in the petting pen at Deanna Rose Farmstead last weekend, but I hadn't heard her talk about it.
Ahhh!!! Noah just came downstairs to ask me where Honey Girl the Babydoll is. In the car. Can't believe they made it through the evening without her. Just as he was headed out to get her Georgia yells, "Honey Girl needs pajamas!" Hahahahaha. Is it wrong to admit I'm enjoying the insistent conversation I am overhearing? Tomorrow is Noah's 33rd birthday and I know he'll spend the day reflecting on life. And probably wondering how it's come to revolve around finding clothes for a doll!
September 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment